[T3] Engine Idle very low, once warmed up

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Aug 2 23:14:14 PDT 2017

In a message dated 8/2/2017 9:35:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaredkohler at gmail.com writes:

Well,  did my idle adjustment (when nice and warm) after a long drive and
she still  acts the same. I made the adjustment when she was idling in the
garage and did  notice the rpm increase. I shut the car off, then started
again. Same super  low idle. Gen light flickering it's so low. Yet, when cold
(first thing in the  AM) idle is nice and high. Stays running strong.
I'm wondering if it's not  the vacuum operated sensor to the right of dist?
Mine is electrically  operated. Perhaps it's not closing as it should? Or
opening as it should? I  can't seem to get much info on these sensors. Books
seem to glaze over their  function and importance. I do have a mechanical
one in my parts bin.  Considering swapping to see if it makes a change for the
 better!

Yours sounds like it's working. When cold it should be wide open, and  when
hot it should be closed.
The time difference between the 2 positions on the electric  version should
be about 5 minutes. The mechanical version is about the same  length of
time, plus/minus a couple of minutes. The big difference between  the 2 however
is that the mechanical version holds heat better, since it's  bolted to the
case, and gets splash oiled. That "banked" heat doesn't bother the  MT, due
to the operator raising the engine speed while releasing the clutch  on
take off. The electric version starts cooling off once the power is  turned
off, so it losing heat. Once 12 V gets re-applied it starts warming  again.
This probably works better with AT, since idle speed would need to be  slightly
higher until the engine fully warms up.

Bob 65 Notch  w/Factory Sunroof converted to  IRS