[T3] Why is it that when I got my 73SBIneverhadtoturnthekeysevera...

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sat Aug 12 15:56:50 PDT 2017

My fuel pump on my late 73 SB has a brown wire that is always a ground and a
red wire  #87 on the relay which also feeds the pump and electric AAR .
Looking at it today I saw the plastic plug which is on the bottom end of the
FP relay #86 & #85 #86 to the voltage supply relay and # 85 to the ECU . And
#30/51 which goes to fuse 7 on the fuse box.

 I had a small mini momentary contact switch rated at 6 amp already wired to
fuse 9 ( which is only for the key buzzer) . I have that switch mounted to
the plastic cover under the steering col that's held in place by 3 screws ,
the switch is on the left side on that cover close to the dash so it clears
everything right where the washer pump hose enters.

 Since the pump brown wire is just a fuel pump ground not leading to the
relay or any relay and the switch already had power off fuse #9 which is hot
all the time powering my radio so I can turn on the radio key off I have an
8 amp fuse off fuse 9 which feeds the radio and also the primer switch. What
I did was pull the single red pump lead off the pump relay #87 which also
feeds power to the electric ARR somewhere down the line it has a connector 2
wires to one . I placed a piggyback brass 2 male 1 female plugged on the RED
pump wire and the off end of the switch on the male ends and then the female
end to the pump relay #87 . I placed my dvom on amps across fuse #9 fuse out
and read 2.3 amp. I also checked and it still works and times out the normal
way 1 1/2 seconds with the ign switch . I don't see a way around powering
the electric AAR since it's tied to #87 so part of the 2.3 amps is the AAR .

 On page 19 Bentley fuel system is what mine is wired like . There are no
paired wires on the FP relay . What you describe sounds like one end of the
switch takes it's power off #30/#51 one piggyback  and #87 the red pump lead
or pump + another piggyback other end of the switch . I just used a
different fuse for the power to the switch either way using the switch will
still power the electic AAR since mine is an auto trans.