[T3] On a 73 T-3 SB fuel injected aut trans pinging .

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Dec 4 19:55:07 PST 2017

In a message dated 12/4/2017 8:10:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
catnine09 at dslextreme.com writes:

Last  friday I drove it about 12 miles to pick up a few items at 4 places.
Each time  the car sat for 10 to 20 minutes. The engine was warmed up . The
last stop  about a mile away on the way home when it shifted into seecond
gear if I just  pushed te gas I got a ping . Itwas steady and loud and stopped
as I backed off  .

I just drove it today about 2 miles and on te way home it did the  same
thing yet it does not always happen .

Does it sound like the  mechanical advance weights might be sticking ?

I would hear a slight  ping once in a while if I took off from a stop to
get into traffic from side  streets to main streets . At most three very
slight pings and not always.

I checked the timing and it was 5 degrees BTDC per the Bentley and  have
the proper mark painted . It's also colder now , well 67 F if that's cold  .

I have another distributor that has no wear that I cleaned and lubed  and
AH which came with the 73 engine it has no wear and I replaced the worn
fiber washers . I had it completely apart .

The way the ping is either  there and then not seems like mechanical
advance weights are either binding or  sticking. I can't see them enough to tell .
I know they can bind on the pivot  pin or dried out old lube

I guess the only way to know is pull it and  take a look and then use the
AH distributor .

The idle does not go up  when I come to a stop and I'm not sure it would if
a weight was not returning.  I think it would . I think all it would take
is a weight that hangs up as I'm  driving then it some how frees up at idle .
I can see the advance springs and  they are connected.

The odd thing on the 72 Dist in the car now the  ground lead on the advance
plate loops over the advance arm on the AH it sits  right where the
pertronix base needs to sit . I spoke to pertronix and they  said it needs that
ground . I either need to swap advance plates or remove one  end of the much
shorter braided plate ground on the AH 73 dist and add an  eyelet to it to
ground it on one of the pertronix two studs. Trouble with that  is if I need to
install  points if the pertronix fails I can't .

Also the Vacuum advance does not work , hasn't since 2009 as far as I
know.

I'd go with points yet lately most seem cheap and no one other  than
on-line sells condensors and the two I have are at least before 97 . I  always had
trouble with points lasting and don't feel an old condensor can be  trusted
.

Any thought's ?
Have you tried better fuel? Maybe set up a grade or 2?

Bob 65 Notch  w/Factory Sunroof converted to  IRS