[T3] Oily runner sleeves?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Dec 19 11:38:21 PST 2017

On 18 Dec 2017 at 13:18, William J wrote:

>  I can't imagine any oil gets through the runner sleeves or I'd have a
>  huge vacuum leak and it's not trans oil sucked through the trans vacuum
>  lines.

And yet, that's probably what's happening. The surface tension of a rather
viscous fluid makes a pretty good seal, but it will drip out when the engine
stops if there's more inside.

There's always some amount of oil in the intake, either from oil mist from the
breather or from the air cleaner. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that
you've made the very common mistake of laying the top of the air cleaner
upside down while you service the bottom half. When you do this, oil from
the fiber mesh will drip down into the air cleaner outlet passage, ready to get
sucked into the intake the next time the engine runs.

Overfilling the air cleaner just aggravates this.

I know it's hard to remember, but next time put some newspaper on the
ground and put the top of the air cleaner on the newspaper, right side up.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org