[T3] Oily runner sleeves?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Dec 19 13:45:34 PST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney at vwtype3.org>
To: <type3 at vwtype3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: [T3] Oily runner sleeves?

> On 18 Dec 2017 at 13:18, William J wrote:
>
>>  I can't imagine any oil gets through the runner sleeves or I'd have a
>>  huge vacuum leak and it's not trans oil sucked through the trans vacuum
>>  lines.
>
> And yet, that's probably what's happening. The surface tension of a rather
> viscous fluid makes a pretty good seal, but it will drip out when the
> engine
> stops if there's more inside.

 I'm not sure what you mean . Are you saying engine oil mist makes it's way
through the runner sleeves ? If that's the case then they have to have
cracks in the rubber of these sleeves. On mine the entire outside of the
cloth is soaked in oil.

> There's always some amount of oil in the intake, either from oil mist from
> the
> breather or from the air cleaner. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess
> that
> you've made the very common mistake of laying the top of the air cleaner
> upside down while you service the bottom half. When you do this, oil from
> the fiber mesh will drip down into the air cleaner outlet passage, ready
> to get
> sucked into the intake the next time the engine runs.

 No I never turn the top upside down , I may have over filled it yet not
more than the lower rim  that has arrows I filled it just to the under side
of that.