[T3] Oily runner sleeves?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Dec 22 07:59:56 PST 2017

On 19 Dec 2017 at 13:45, William J wrote:

>  I'm not sure what you mean . Are you saying engine oil mist makes it's way
> through the runner sleeves ? If that's the case then they have to have
> cracks in the rubber of these sleeves. On mine the entire outside of the
> cloth is soaked in oil.

The oil mist coaleses and pools in the gap between the IAD and the air
runners. Then the pool can wick out to the ends of the sleeve; no cracks in
the sleeve are necessary. It doesn't take much, other than time, for this to
happen. And this will happen while the car is parked, so it has plenty of time.

> No I never turn the top upside down , I may have over filled it yet not
> more than the lower rim  that has arrows I filled it just to the under side
> of that.

Okay, then it's just from overfilling or from oil mist from the breather.

I can't remember if you mentioned that the left side of your AT was wetter
than the right. If so, you probably need  a new O-ring for the governor cover.
I have them, or you may still be able to buy them from the VW dealer.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org