[T3] 1966 Type 3 Squareback ( non-functioning horn)

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Feb 1 15:26:03 PST 2017

On 1 Feb 2017 at 16:19, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I know we talked about this, Jim.
> And none of your Type3's have functioning horns, but you feel having a
> functioning horn is not important ... at least, not to you.

This may be true, but at least I'm pretty sure the problem is not up
near the steering wheel. Most of the time it's the horn itself that's
at fault. For '71-3 there's a different arrangement at the steering
wheel that might benefit from graphite grease, not so much to make
the horn work, but to keep the sliding contact from wearing and
breaking. That's a slightly different problem, and one your '69 does
not have.

> IIRC, you believe "tracking down" WHY the horn doesn't work, is a waste of
> time.

I DID track your problem down. It's at the steering gearbox, at a
failure for one of the bolts at the flex coupling to make a good
electrical connection.

> To get to that, removal of the (near empty) fuel tank, hoses, sender wire,
> hold-down clips allows one to remove the tank to access to the area where
> the problem "MAY" be?
>
> In your opinion:  Too much work for too little return?
> Anything I missed here?

I'm sure I can fix it, and the work you suggest is correct, but it's
not as easy as listing it might sound. It would be lovely if it could
be done with the gas tank in place, and maybe with the car up on
jackstands I could do that. There's just very little working room
there, with the master cylinder, tie rods, and Pittman arm right
under it. I would need enough room to get a decent swing on a long
wrench.

Taking the gas tank out, even empty, is not as simple as it might
sound. Getting the sealing sleeves around the inlet ports back in
place, intact and without slipping, and without folds, is tricky and
time consuming. Plus all the other hose connections both above and
below the tank.

Yes, I can fix it. But I'm not sure you want to pay the price. It's
not likely to be cheap. Yes, in my mind it's not worth fixing.
Personally, I very seldom use the horn. It's not the best defensive
driving tactic.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org