[T3] gas mileage, voltage, etc.

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 10:59:45 PDT 2017

> The question I see brought up was a possible voltage spike or intermittent
> short that might be killing the brains . That's why in one post I brought up
> the cold start relay because I recall Daniel having issues with the pressure
> switch at one point . On the pressure switch which is an enrichment device
> as I understand it there is wire #14 & 9 both go to the brain , on Wire # 14
> in the Bentley page 17 fuel system I see # 34 above  # 14 , #14 only shows
> in the cold start relay. Also #32 & #33 are from the cold start relay to the
> cold start valve also #30 which goes to the thermo switch which tells the
> air temp determines when the cold start system needs to operate.

I definitely don't have a cold start relay. I've read about the
various problems associated with it and am maybe glad that I don't
have one because I'm sure I'd have those problems.

The FI harness doesn't really connect to the main harness in many
places, does it? There's wire 19 which grounds the fuel pump but that
really only goes from the engine bay up to the relay under the dash.
Then wire 18 goes from the FI harness to the starter, but Jim already
ruled that out. Then there's the power wires from the FI relay under
the seat to the connectors in the engine bay that run to the ECU. I
think that relay is powered either directly from the battery or from
the battery via the VR. I can't remember though and my wiring diagrams
aren't handy.

Anyway, I'm not sure how excess voltage can get to the ECU. Via the
power relay? Every time I've ever checked, the voltage out of that
relay is about the same as or slightly less than what goes into it and
I don't see how the relay could turn 14V into more. But what do I
know?