[T3] Front tire wobble

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 19:09:03 PDT 2017

I daily drive my ’69 on primitive NYC roads, streets, and highways. Whenever I have anything like what you describe, I check the upper torsion arm adjustment. If it’s loose, I adjust it. If that’s okay, or if adjusting doesn’t improve things, I move on to tie rod ends. The last two times this happened, it was a bad outer tie rod end. Back in November or December, it was my left outer. Now my right outer is bad and I feel a shimmy in the wheel on bumps and certain turns. If I tug on the tire, the tie rod end “jumps” a bit up and down in it’s socket. There’s also a bit of slack in the steering wheel when turning to the right. I just haven’t replaced it yet b/c then I have to get an alignment which isn’t a straightforward procedure out here.

I know I’m not one of the Meisters on this list, but this has been my experience in the last 5 years and 50k+ miles or driving.

Daniel