[T3] VW Passat with Blumotion engine

Jens Vagelpohl jens at type4.org
Sat May 6 23:42:08 PDT 2017

> On 6. May 2017, at 20:33 , Gary Forsmo <gbforsmo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is there credible information about this hi-mileage producing VW diesel
> Bluemotion engine?  Currently available in the U.S.A.?

I just looked at the VW of America website and they don’t show *any* Passat with Diesels anymore. Big surprise after the diesel scandal…

In Germany you can buy a 1.6l diesel with 120hp and a 2.0l with 150 and 190hp. They claim gas mileages of 4.0l/100km (59 mpg) for the smallest engine. I would guess under normal use that would be 40 mpg at best since those marketing claims have diverged more and more from real-life gas mileage over the years.

My 12 year old Audi A2 with the so-called “3 Liter engine”, a 1.2l TDI that was the first engine to reach a claimed gas mileage of 3l/100km (78 mpg), has gotten me about 3.5l/100km (67 mpg) over the last few years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A2

jens