[T3] Vapor Lock- Fuel Boil Off

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 19 06:55:23 PDT 2017

On 19 May 2017 at 6:23, Jaime Gurrola wrote:

> On 5/18/17 13:24, type3-vwtype3.org-request at lists.vwtype3.org wrote:

> > Are the heat exchangers getting all the intended air cooling?

> Not running heat exchangers

The stock heat exchangers get continuously cooled by air blown out of the
"horns" of the fan housing, even when you're not using heat. If you have
j-pipes, there's no such cooling, so they will add heat to the engine. You
could wrap them in insulation, too, but that will make the muffler run hotter,
which might make things better or worse. Hard to say. OTOH, lots of people
run j-pipes.

> > Any rustthru underbody that would let warm cooling air get sucked in from
> Rust-free, So-Cal all it's life all throughout except a quarter-sized
> hole at the battery area, like everybody else.  But, I'm not sure I
> follow you here.
> > underneath?

Right, underneath, where warm air could get sucked in, instead of cool air.

> > Do the carbs have the insulating bakelite spacers under them?
> Yes.  It only delays the boil off somewhat.

Yes, it's a delay, but it helps, because the heat soak reaches a peak and
then cools back down.

You might want to post what carbs you're using and with what jetting.
Someone out here may have some experience with what works.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org