[T3] Invasion and Post Invasion Repairs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 8 08:32:34 PDT 2018

Our road trip to the recent Invasion revealed some repairs that our '71
needed. Here's what I had to do:

#1 Fuel Injection Trigger Points.

About 50 miles short of our stop for the night, the engine started to miss.
When I stopped, the engine was hard to restart. We hobbled on to our motel
and I spent 4 hours looking for the problem, and 15 minutes fixing it.

The problem turned out to be a slightly worn trigger point rubbing block. I
had my adjusting fixture with me, so the hardest part of the repair was taking
the distributor out, putting it back in, and resetting the timing. Using my
fixture to reset the points takes less than 5 minutes.

When I got to Peg & Marion's, I did the job again, but this time using a bit of
Marion's grease. Once I got home, I took the distributor completely apart so I
could clean it up and make sure everything was clean and lubricated for the
next 20 years.

I do a LOT of distributor rebuilds, but apparently I had neglected to ever do
this one. I regret that oversight.

#2 No Brake Lights

Once we got to the Invasion, someone pointed out that my brake lights were
not working. So I proceeded to jack up the car and replace one of the brake
light switches. When this didn't fix the problem, I checked the bulbs, but they
were both good. Finally, in great embarrassment, I found a bad fuse.  ;-p

The fuse was one that I'd removed over the winter so the clock would not run
down the battery. Normally the clock is not on a fuse, but I had re-arranged it
so that it was wired thru a fuse that I could remove. That fuse had sat on the
floor and been kicked around a few times. I probably broke it then, or when I
reinstalled it.

There's a lesson here: Check the easy stuff first. Once I got home, I put the
old brake light switch back in.

#3 Loose Front Sway Bar

Before the invasion, I had noticed that our steering seemed loose. When I
inspected the play in the front axle, it was clear that the sway bar was a bit
loose. I removed it and put a larger dimple in the left end, but there wasn't
anything I could do to the right end in the short time I had. Since the problem
is usually in the left end, I put it back together and hoped it would be good.

It wasn't. I could hear it creaking occasionally on the trip to the Invasion.

Once I got home, I pulled the sway bar again and looked at it. I redressed
the deeper dimple with a correct 90 deg countersink, but there was clearly a
problem on the right side that I hadn't fixed.

On the right side, the set screw had worn a shallow hole in the side of the
sway bar, and, on the opposite side, it was clear that the flat was only hitting
in the middle, not the edges where it would do the most good.

I took the bar to a welder and had him weld up the shallow hole and add 2
beads along the 2 edges of the flat on the other side. At home, I carefully
filed the beads down until they could barely fit in the trailing arm, while still
standing above the center of the flat.

It's been good ever since.

#4 Noisy Exhaust

Our muffler seemed more noisy than it should have been, so I finally took a
good look at the previous repairs I had done with muffler cement. They were
still good, but there were some new holes and leaks. One lower heat
exchanger connection was leaking slightly, right at the clamp.

I'm using Permatex muffler sealant. I never expected it to be particularly
good, but it's been great. All you do to repair leaks is brush off loose rust,
wet the area with water, and smear on the goo.

The HE connection was tight, but there was a leak in a place I really couldn't
see. I wet the whole area and smeared it with sealant, pressing as much as I
could into the crevices. I filled the spaces within the clamp. Two other spots
were out in the open, so I brushed, wetted and covered them with the
cement.

It's all as quiet as it should be now.

I'm really impressed with this stuff. They recommend using it when you
install new systems, and I'll do that next time. I think it would be especially
good if the new metal mesh sealing doughnuts got impregnated with this
stuff before tightening.

Final note:

The good news is that the system of relays that I installed last year, to take
all the serious loads off the '71 ignition switch worked well and continues to
be trouble-free. While I tend to shy away from deviations from stock, I'm
really happy with this modification so far.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org