[T3] Invasion and Post Invasion Repairs

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Aug 8 19:04:32 PDT 2018

This is interesting, I wouldnt have thought you could have welded spring
steel sucessfully, but if this works it will save alot of the larger upper
sway bars, I have several bad ones that have had the problem over the years.

Keith

#3 Loose Front Sway Bar

Before the invasion, I had noticed that our steering seemed loose. When I
inspected the play in the front axle, it was clear that the sway bar was a
bit
loose. I removed it and put a larger dimple in the left end, but there
wasn't
anything I could do to the right end in the short time I had. Since the
problem
is usually in the left end, I put it back together and hoped it would be
good.

It wasn't. I could hear it creaking occasionally on the trip to the
Invasion.

Once I got home, I pulled the sway bar again and looked at it. I redressed
the deeper dimple with a correct 90 deg countersink, but there was clearly a

problem on the right side that I hadn't fixed.

On the right side, the set screw had worn a shallow hole in the side of the
sway bar, and, on the opposite side, it was clear that the flat was only
hitting
in the middle, not the edges where it would do the most good.

I took the bar to a welder and had him weld up the shallow hole and add 2
beads along the 2 edges of the flat on the other side. At home, I carefully
filed the beads down until they could barely fit in the trailing arm, while
still
standing above the center of the flat.

It's been good ever since.