[T3] Oil Cooler leaking

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Feb 16 09:29:45 PST 2018

On 15 Feb 2018 at 14:40, Dorough, Don CIV, NPPSC N3/PSD Pensacola
wrote:

> My oil cooler is leaking (looks like it's right at the donuts)

The seals in your '70 should be more like tubes with a central flange.

When you take the tin off, there should also be a foam pad on top of the
cooler. This keeps cooling air from escaping without doing any cooling. The
OG foam was glued together from chopped up foam scrap and started to
disintegrate after a few years. You may or may not find any remnants of the
old foam. If there's still old foam there, it will come unglued and disintegrate
if parts solvent hits it.

I make replacment foam pads that are better than the original: not chopped
and glued, much better than the original stuff. Mine have been in service for
maybe 30 years and still fine. $5 gets one shipped to you.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org