[T3] First Steps Engine Reassembly

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sat Jul 7 11:43:55 PDT 2018

 I was considering using the middle filler tube ( with nipple ) and the one
large cap breather on my 73 which has the Positive crank case vent or PCV .
Reason being the PCV is NLA . Yet I don't think the 73 oil bath will work
proper since it has two hoses one from each head , their function is to only
allow clean filtered air into the heads through push rod tubes into the case
up to the breather . From there under the small cap sits the PCV the a hose
to the IAD vaccum pipe . I never saw an early oil bath in person yet from
what I've seen the beather nipple with hose fits to the air intake metal
oval and has a sort off flap with metal weight . I don't know how this works
. In my mind air entering the oil bath intake would have more suction if
that is the proper word that if I were to attempt to use any one of the
nipples on the 73 oil bath, those all are simply filtered air outlets. 1 is
for the AAR 2 for the heads and 1 for the fuel vapor charcoal canister.

 I don't know the function of the flap on the early oil bath . I do know the
nipple on the older oil bath creates a suction to draw in fumes from the
breather .

 My PCV works yet is questionable and if it fails and or breaks since it's
plastic then what. I have never seen the inside of the early oil bath so I
don't know if it has the outer wall like the 73 that isolates suction and
only provides filters air ,and do realize many may frown on changing my vent
system . It's maily an emmisions device on a 72/73 to have a closed vent
system and also the vacuum from the IAD FI system draws in oil fumes whcih
tend to build up inside the IAD . The early system still draws oil fumes
into the IAD yet perhaps at a smaller rate , I'm not sure.

William