[T3] muffler - HE leaks

Bobnotch bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 10:12:46 PDT 2018

Jim, actually the type 4 bus mufflers aren't that hard to come by (still being made). I picked up a NOS one
off the Samba for a 100 bucks. It was shipped from NY state, and was for a 411/412. :O
The one on Rob's car (now with t-4 power) is 1 that I brought up from my dad's place (also NOS). It
was a bus muffler, since the exit is out the right end of the muffler can (instead of the middle). I already had
the tail pipe adapter here, it just needed a turn out.
For years, CIP sold them as a kit to replace the harder to find t-3 muffler, as they're used on buses.
I don't know if CIP is still selling them though.
However, you're still eliminating the rear "pre-heaters", as there's not enough room for them to fit. That, and
the exit point are the only real issues with using them.
They're still ton's better than the aftermarket 4 tip mufflers still being sold.
Bob