[T3] Cargo Mat Repair

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:59:12 PDT 2018

Thanks Dave, Jim et al.

1.)  ---, for the thoughts on the Cargo Mat Repair.

Using a large screwdriver with a flat blade to get started to lift the
metal and then the ChannelLock pliers are both excellent suggestions.

If the "crimped" metal edge doesn't present a cutting edge hazard, I just
may leave it un-crimped after the mat is repaired. Then I can just remove
the entire mat to gain access by removing the engine cover to work on the
engine.

I'm not a big fan of Scotch tape, bailing wire and Duct tape.
"Do it right and it will last (almost) forever."

The Square is only one year away from its 50th birthday.  In 50 more years,
I'll be looking up at the satin side of a "pine box".

Aligning the cracked seams right-side-up on a sheet of plywood, taping a
"release agent" (like waxed paper) over the seam and a 2nd sheet of plywood
as a "sandwich" will allow me to turning the cargo mat up-side-down, and
complete the repair with something flexible. Yet to be determined.

Has anyone in the Type 3 membership used that Flex Seal liquid?

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)