[T3] 73 type 3 turn signal switch and ign ?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:02:12 PST 2019

 I ordered the cancel cam since I know mine is chewed up. I have never had this steering wheel off. The reason the cancel cam needs replacement is because the horn contact on the t/s has a hole worn in it that in turn chewed up the cams ring shaped contact surface.

 I also need to replace the ign elect switch which I have and lube the ign lock deal since the key does not return fully , almost not always as well the lock does not engage unless I pull the key out a few times .

 I didn’t order a new T/S switch because I’m hoping I can repair the one brass or copper wiper’s hole with something.

 I’m not sure if the new cancel cam/ horn contact is the exact same depth so the cam does not hit to far down that I will need to measure.

 Main concern is everything works now yet I know sooner of later that copper is going to catch and I don’t want to break the T/S switch . I was going to order a replacement yet can’t afford it right now.

  I don’t feel just removing the wheel and taking a look will hurt anything. I have no idea what shape the switches are in other than they work fine now. I may even be able to just get some lube in to get the lock to allow the ign to return fully. I also know the Ign elect switch is stock .

 If it looks like things are brittle it seems I can just lift the switches out far enough to remove the metal 2 screw retainer and at least re4place the ign elect switch and lube the lock part , I have a spare lock that is the same from a 72 lock meaning the cast section that houses the ign lock/cylinder and other end ign elect switch .

 Has anyone done this or have any suggestions on what not to do? If so please let me know.  I recall Jim spoke of finding a way to replace the T/S switch horn wiper. I have a 71 switch that someone stuffed into the 72 I might be able to for now use part of that wiper contact to repair this one, they might be the same width and material .

William

Sent from Mail for Windows 10