[T3] Nose too high.

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jun 14 19:34:03 PDT 2019

Your numbers and observations seem to make sense with each other.
All old cars, torsion bars or leaf springs or coil springs seem to sag with
age, leading to spring replacement or coil overs, im not a physicist so I
cant comment on the physical nature of the spring steel
but it does seem that they sag out with age

Mine was measured on the 71, and it may be that the front fenders may vary a
bit on lip height, also some of the rubber snubbers, especially the lower
were a different shape than others but my main concern is that there is
adequate suspension travel so your not bottomed out all the time if the car
is loaded down with cargo or people and not so high that your hitting the
top snubbers every time you go over a bump and it springs back.  The lower
the front end sits under these conditions the better, within reason.

small changes in the distance between snubbers and arms also result in more
significant changes in body height, so its likely that a range of over an
inch or 2 would still have the suspension sitting in an acceptable range of
motion and caster angle.

on the 71 right now, if I put my fingers on the top of the tire, I can raise
my hand about an inch before the backside hits the lip, on the rear my
fingers and back of hand are both contacting the tire and lip at the same
time.  I can put the rear height wherever I want with the air shocks, but in
its current state the rocker is about a half inch lower at the front than
the rear, 10" at the rear, 9 1/2 at the front.

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
http://www.topnotchresto.com
71 Squareback  "Hothe"
65 Notchback  "El Baja Rojo"
93 RX7  "Redstur"
95 Chrysler Cirrus Lxi "Cirfogsalot"
"hanging out at the tail end of the bell
curve, and loving every minute of it!"