[T3] 71 IGNITION SWITCH

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 17 13:54:32 PDT 2019

On 17 Jun 2019 at 10:23, B Fye wrote:

> Does the column have to be dropped to replace the switch, or does the
> steering wheel and turn signal assembly have to come off?  I have the
> replacement switch, but wasn't sure what had to happen.

Are you sure you have the right switch? The '71 switch is a one year
Type 3 part only. It has short wires soldered onto the back of it,
with connectors precrimped onto those wires. Nothing else works.

To install it:

Remove the steering wheel.

Remove the TS switch (4 screws and unplug the connector down the left
side of the column.)

Unplug the connector along the right side of the column.

Remove the small pin in the side of the column that holds the
remaining switch connector pins in place. Take careful note of which
wire goes where. Remove the 2 halves of the plastic insert that holds
those pins.

Remove the cover over the key cylinder (2 screws.)

Pull out the key cylinder after inserting the key and turning it to
the ON position.

Remove the switch from the back of the key/switch assy.

Install in the reverse order.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org