[T3] NOS Brake Parts

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Wed Jun 26 23:53:52 PDT 2019

I'm famous!  http://blef.org/vw/t3/20mmMCrottencup.jpg

> I was too busy to respond at the time, and, over time, the opportunity slipped
> away from me. In case that photo made a lasting impression on some of you,
> I've long meant to respond to it.

Turns out I sent you that photo privately once in 2012 and then to the list in 2013.  The first time you responded to my immediate question but didn't comment on the "dirty rotten NOS rubber seals!" aspect, and the second time you made a comment that you'd only ever had problems with rusty bores, never rotten rubber.

...and it turns out that I sent you this picture a THIRD time (I guess I really like passing this picture around! Sorry to have caused you so much angst, Jim!) in 2017.  Your message here sounded real familiar, because the third time, you wrote:

"My guess is that what you got in that MC is an old, used seal. I occasionally get a kit with one old seal swapped in. This must happen when someone decides to steal the one part they need and then return the kit as defective.  I've never seen that in a complete MC, but it's equally possible. I just never  buy new MCs.

A few years ago, someone (you?) posted a link to a photo of the parts in an MC kit that they had just purchased, warning us to avoid buying old kits. The ONE seal that always goes bad in our MCs was clearly falling apart, and the poster thought this was due to age. In fact, that seal looked EXACTLY like the ones I often pull out of old MCs. I'm sure it was a used one that had been  swapped into a kit and then returned.

I have tons of very old kits on my shelves, and they are all just fine, except for the very occasional kits where 1 seal has been stolen and the kit returned to the shelf."

> BUT, here's the takeaway: I've got a basement full of NOS brake kits, many
> 30-50 years old. I've never had a NOS seal that looked like the one in that
> photo.

In the years since 2012, I've since bought a few NOS master cylinder rebuilt kits myself, and indeed, the rubber pieces all look fine.  I've never used any of the pieces, though, they're just sitting in boxes looking pretty.

> Just wanted to clear this up, at least in my own mind. I kept thinking about
> that photo and how unfortunately misleading it was. And I want to make clear
> that it's not the fault of the person who posted the photo; he only had a
> sample of 1 and made a reasonable conclusion from it.

The other thing rattling around in my brain at the time was a note VW included in the 1961-1965 type 1 shop manual: "Assembled master and wheel cylinders should not be stored for longer than 1 year.  If a longer period of storage is unavoidable, the parts must be disassembled and examined.  The rubber parts should not be exposed to daylight when stored for prolonged periods."  I seem to also recall Russ mentioning the dealership practice of ensuring that hydraulic brake parts didn't sit around for long on shelves, but I could be misremembering because in
 a quick search I can't find any comments to that effect.

In recent years I've had several rear wheel cylinder leaks on three VWs.  New production cylinders in two cases, old ATe cylinders that had been honed and given new NAPA cups in the other case.  These all leaked within 5 years, which is pretty lousy in my opinion.  Then there was the ATe master cylinder I bought new for my Bug.  It failed in 3 years.  Replaced it with some $20 Chinese AC Industries unit, which has been trouble-free for the last 9 years.  I guess at this point I just consider rubber brake pieces to be a gamble ;)  Do your best and then cross your fingers!  (And maybe switch to DoT-5 if you're lazy like me and still haven't taken the plunge.)

Soren