[T3] Stupid question #395 Oil change time?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 28 13:40:32 PDT 2019

Followup:

Yes, W stands for Winter. It refers to the viscosity as measured on an
arbitrary scale at 0 C.

I should have mentioned that '72-3 Type 3s, with PCV, will have less trouble
with crankcase condensation that the earlier years.

With a little bit of searching, I find that STP has just enough ZDDP to be able
to claim it in their blue bottle product, but not enough to actually be useful.
That's probably also little enough that it won't damage Cat Cons.

I also came across a note mentioning that straight weight oils do not have to
meet the modern API low zinc requirements, so we might want to look for
straight weight oils.

Note that our owner's manuals recommend SAE 30 for outside temps from
freezing to 110 F.

I found one other comment that mentioned that Tractor Supply Company
commonly stocks straight weight oils. That's worth looking into.

Finally, I came across this: a discussion of what fuel hose is good for
modern gas. The good news is that anything meeting 30R6 or 30R7 is good.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/?p=350621

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org