[T3] Fw: 71 sqbk FI question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 29 08:08:46 PDT 2019

On 29 May 2019 at 1:42, Birtalan, Victor wrote:

> Hello, thanks for the response.  I will check out the distributor and
> vr.  One thing I did not mention earlier was that I swapped out the
> bosche computer with a spare and there was no change in the symptoms.
> a more consise description of the problem is that ascending any size
> hill will drop performance significantly.  But yet when on the flats I
> can maintain speed.  Thanks,  Vic.  Also, I am in central california,
> specifically Goleta, CA.

This is all consistent with a lack of power. If the distributor and VR check out,
consider changing the fuel filter. They get slowly clogged and eventually limit
the amount of fuel that can get thru.

If your filter turns out to be clogged, what are the chances that you have a
cracked "overflow" hose? This is common, and is the most likely cause of
dirt (and water) getting into the gas tank. If that hose is cracked, gas will spill
out of it when you top up your tank and when you make left turns.

I make a repair kit for this problem. Every '68-73 Type 3 needs one of these.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org