[T3] my long term issue have to unplug TS1 for a smooth idle.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Oct 8 05:55:48 PDT 2019

On 7 Oct 2019 at 18:36, William Jahn wrote:

>  I had used motor mounts I got in 2002 or 3 I looked at mine and they were
> so compressed Tram on Samba looked at the photo's I was talking about the
> vibration I have AT in drive foot on brake. He said they look so compressed
> that it can pull on the air cooling bellows so I replaced the old original
> ones with the better used ones and made sure the engine was centered .

That's interesting, as I've never noticed those to get compressed. I should
find some old ones here and compare to what's on my cars.

>  I was concerned about the oil filler rubber bellows so I slacked the clamp
> and it moved a bit yet I can see I need a new one , this one had a small
> split on the bottom most bellows there are 3 ,  so I cleaned and sealed it
> with silicone.  Mine only has one clamp on that filler bellows always did
> yet I've seen photo's of one on each end , not sure if they need two or
> not.

I doubt if the silicone will stick for long, but if you cleaned off the oil well, it
might.

Early filler bellows used 2 clamps, but around 1970 VW combined the upper
end with the grommet that seals where the filler comes thru the body and
also eliminated the upper clamp. The new design is good; you don't need a
second clamp. I have good used ones if you need one.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org