[T3] my long term issue have to unplug TS1 for a smooth idle.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Oct 8 12:13:59 PDT 2019

On 8 Oct 2019 at 10:21, William Jahn wrote:

> I sent photo's of the old mounts and replaced mounts . ISP sells a filler
> boot it looks like it has a sort of grommet where it fits from the engine
> side then just a straight tube once in the hole. They show the same one
> for all T-3's .

Yes, the new version superceeds the old version and fits all Type 3s. To
install the new one, you'll need to remove the filler cap assy, then the new
one, with its attached grommet will slide in easily. The bigger problem is the
rubber seal under the filler cap. VW failed to make that out of oil resistant
rubber, so they are always swelled up and destroyed by now.

> I imagine once a new boot is fitted which I will do it will fit the
> fill tube where the oil cap sits tighter , Mine seems snug yet can be
> rotated yet it does not leak oil at that area.

The filler assy has a neck that sticks snugly down into the bellows, holding it
in place. They will never leak there, as the oil would have to flow uphill to get
out.

> I also wanted to replace the gasket between the engine and oil fill
> pipe since I noticed mine is not parallel it's a 1/4" higher where the
> dip stick fits and stops.

That gasket is an odd one, not commonly available. Try to save your old
one. If you take the filler pipe out, check the flatness of the flange with a
straightedge. Those flanges are quite soft and they often get bent if people
use the pipe to move the engine when rebuilding. Bent flanges leak. The
flange can be straightened in a vise.

Note also that there was a VW special tool to set the position of the bottom
end of the filler PIPE (not the flange), because that's where the oil level is
measured from (where the dipstick hits.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org