[T3] On my 73 square , what should I look at on the breather with a PCV?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 11:29:00 PDT 2019

When I removed the large breather cap there was some oil film inside the
inner part of that cap yet I think that's normal and there was no white
foam like moisture in the oil . I read on rennlist about the slop where the
trigger points mount that it should be set to the center point since it
will alter the point when the injectors fire . I have a pertronix and
always set it toward the advanced point yet it ran fine for decades like
this perhaps with points it might make a difference. It ran fine even with
the lousy EMPI exhaust system and back then even with the leak on the right
heat ex changer same when I had the J pipes it never popped out the exhaust
with both sensors connected. I repaired the AAR since  it was not closing
fully and would make it rich plus the idle was high or low that helped with
the idle. Pertronix told me these units can fail by not working or fail
where it can cause a miss yet that does not explain why it does not miss
with the air temp unplugged.

 I thought for sure once I replaced all the vacuum lines and runner boots ,
sealed the IAD back cover and all the other work it would fix this issue
yet it changed nothing. I replaced the plugs , the Bosch plugs I removed
after 1500 miles looked dry -black sooty like it was running rich yet I've
read with the new fuel this does not offer much , whether true or not I
have no idea. From all I've read popping out the exhaust indicates a rich
condition with or with out an exhaust leak. I've also read it can be caused
by a lean condition.

 The only thing that makes sense in my mind is either there is a voltage
drop to the ECU from the power relay or high resistance in the air temp
sensor wires to the ECU or perhaps the head temp sensor to ECU or the air
temp sensor itself is erratic when connected. I haven't read or any going
bad . I've checked the fuel pressure several times and it's always 30 PSI .
The Bentley states 28 to 31 PSI yet only check it and adjust it if out of
this range , the earlier models state 28 PSI . Maybe I should bring it back
down to 28 PSI because this does have an affect on how rich it runs and 28
to 31 PSI is spec for even later models not just 68 and 69 .

 I even connected a vacuum gauge teed into the MPS line and it's steady ,
once I plug in the air temp it becomes erratic so at that point the MPS
does not have a steady vacuum applied which would cause it to alter the
injector timing making it run uneven as it does.