[T3] Late Model (dual bleeder) Caliper Assembly Bolt Question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 19 07:04:11 PDT 2019

On 18 Sep 2019 at 15:59, Tim wrote:

> I have 2 Calipers.  One uses socket cap screws.  The other uses hex head
> bolts.  Both are 7mm x 1.0mm pitch.   Both are 12.9 strength spec.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1950425
>
> Any insights on when the changeover was made?

I don't know. I had noticed that on the early calipers, which I see a lot more
of. On those, I figured later ones came from ATe of Brazil, but I'm guessing
that they never made replacements for the later caliper.

I've also noticed that the earlier calipers all had nuts on the far side, but later
replacements have the castings tapped. Which way are yours?

> Any insights on where to purchase new bolts/screws? (at a reasonable cost.)

I've always reused the old ones, and I have a few here if you need a couple,
but you'll have to tell me the length (from the underside of the head.) If you
really want new, try BelMetric or many years ago I bought metric stuff from
Zelenda Metrics, but it looks like they may be different now, or merged with
someone else.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org