[T3] Late Model (dual bleeder) Caliper Assembly Bolt Question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 19 07:04:11 PDT 2019

On 18 Sep 2019 at 21:17, bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Do both calipers have 42mm pistons? If mot, then they are Ghia calipers.

Tim says these are the larger, late size calipers. I don't think those were ever
made in the 40 mm Type 1 size.

I can't tell for sure, from the photo, whether these are actually the large or
small calipers, but I'm pretty sure Tim knows the difference. It's true that
replacements for the early calipers are now coming with dual bleed valves
and 40 mm pistons. Those are now sold for Type 3s but they result in about
10% reduction in front wheel braking. Don't buy them.

OE VW calipers will have the VW logo molded into them, as well as the ATe
logo (Ate.) If they were made for the aftermarket they will have the Ate logo
but not the VW logo.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org