[T3] my long term issue have to unplug TS1 for a smooth idle.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 30 14:51:51 PDT 2019

On 30 Sep 2019 at 11:34, William Jahn wrote:

> The D unit is a 311 906 051D/ 0 280 100 101 , it's the exact same unit as
> the 311 906 051E/ 0 280 100 116. Both have the same nose and have no full
> load enrichment in the MPS and no slots in the cover and both have the
> black plastic cap and the ground wire tab which none of the others had. If
> one were to remove the numbers one could not tell the D from the E . When
> I installed the E it didn't change how it ran at all.

Okay, William emailed me photos of his D MAP sensor. He's right and I was
wrong. I had to go back to the Bosch literature to find the data and I see that
I had gotten this completely wrong from the start. The D sensor was used on
VW Type 3s in Europe starting on 7/71.

In other words, the European '72 models got the 101, D,

and the US/Canada '72 models got the 106, E.

Then, in '73, everyone got the 116, E.

These would all have had the black plastic tamper-proof cap and a single
adjustment screw,

I went downstairs to see if I could find the D MAP sensor that I thought I had
and I came up empty. What I DID find was a Bosch box for a 101 MAP
sensor which also had a VW dealer sticker on it with a C suffix, which makes
no sense at all. It does, however, seem to indicate that VWoA was importing
that part at some point in time.

Going thru this I also realized that in an earlier reply I mentioned the early,
'72 E as a 016. That was wrong, 106 is correct.

The list of numbers to remember grows longer even as my memory grows
shorter....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org