[T3] Have another question on 73 T-3 front seat cable

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 15:04:57 PST 2020

I removed the left seat door side cover. Then I just happened to have a
10mm hex wrench and removed the left back to seat base pivot pin and put
the cable on the other side just mirror of the right side.

 It's an odd setup. On the seat back side knob lever there are 2 cables
hooked to the lever, the lever has 2 holes 1 for each cable and of cause a
pivot for the lever way inside opposite the knob on this lever and a spring
on top , they look just like the ends of throttle and heater cables and are
all stranded close to the same OD as the throttle cable. One cable is
inside the out board seat back pivot arm which is a rectangle metal box
type frame and is looped around a pin with and a screw and E clip , the end
of the cable has a crimped on flat metal , you can see it only if you lift
the lever full up . I can't really describe it because it's difficult to
see and I didn't see what actually locks the seat from tipping forward it
must be in the seat base. The other cable exits a opening in the same seat
back pivot frame above the opening where the other cable connection above
can be seen.

 This cable I can see connects to the same cable that works the seat back
recliner which is the round black knob on the lower seat frame which has 7
notches or positions the round arm drops into, it's a plate with 3 pivots.

 What it comes down to when working the seat the second cable I can see
(barely) it's only function is, once the seat back either side is tilted
all the way forward  the side knob then drops all the way down and the back
locks in the full forward position just as it does in the full back
position. I imagine all it is, is a safety feature so the seat back on a
steep down hill or using the seat back to hold onto does not come back when
some one is sitting in the back seat  trying to exit the car.

 It works now, didn't take much other than some removing of crud on the
lever and cable ends and a bit of lube on the same areas and other pivots.

 Once the seat rail plastic slides arrive 2 for each side of the rear and 1
for each center rail top I will remove the seats the side covers and do a
better cleaning and lubing.

William