[T3] Inner lower bushing dimensions?

Max Welton max.welton.2k at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 09:32:25 PDT 2020

>Is that a new installed bushing? Looks awfully clean in there; you can even
>see the hole where the Zerk feeds in.

I pressure washed the inside then used a swab (shop rag on a stick) to
clean it out. Set the whole thing out in the sun to dry.

>Beautiful. So many of those show bad wear by now. The small diameter part
>looks longer than normal. Did you have to turn that down to a smaller
>diameter to clean it up? If so, that would be the advantage to making your
>own bushings. It would also take a pretty large lathe and some clever
>fixturing to center it and then clear the trailing arm.

This one didn't need any more than a little polish. Kind of like what you
might do for a crank journal. The bronze bushing gets reamed to fit the
specific shaft that will ride in it.

When we did the uppers a few years ago I did have to replace one of the
arms. When the stock bushing failed the metal part really chewed up the
shaft. Today the upper shafts show no wear from the bronze bushings.

I figure this beam should outlast me if I keep it well greased. That's all
I need. ;-)

Max