[T3] : Re: 1969 Type 3 Squareback Cargo Mat

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Dec 9 09:55:56 PST 2021

On 9 Dec 2021 at 17:04, bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Gary might be better off looking on E-bay for a black one, and putting a
> piece of carpeting over it to protect it from UV rays.

Just speculating here, but Gary's old one was covered with several layers of
carpet, and, in spite of not being actively abused, I believe the rubber failed
because the carpet kept the heat in and that is what did the damage.

There's more heat coming up thru that floor than we realize. I once had a
BUNCH of people in my Square, so many that we put one young woman
back there. She eventually started to complain about the heat, even though
we were driving in the dead of a Wisconsin winter. It was well below
freezing, outside, and yet that mat had become too hot to sit on. Some of my
passengers must have shed coats (The car was young and the heater
worked VERY well.) and passed them back to her, to sit on.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org