[T3] CDI Marathon!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Feb 6 06:27:06 PST 2021

On 5 Feb 2021 at 21:35, Keith Park wrote:

> I saw your ad on the Samba.  Im running a Mark 10 that Jim sold me,
> cleaned up the ignition so that the cruise control works properly now,
> makes the now unavailable Lubripoints last A LOT LONGER.

I've always just used the standard Bosch points, but I'm careful to clean and
lighly grease the cam periodically. I stock those points, as well as Bosch
cam grease. Lubrication of the cam almost completely eliminates rubbing
block wear, but it also keeps the cam itself from wearing.

It took me decades to realize that abrasive grit on the rubbing block will wear
a  rough groove in the cam, which then wears the rubbing block quickly. I
suspect this is the fate of many cars that start to require frequent
dwell/timing tuneups. Almost 100% of the distributors I rebuild require
touchup of the cam surfaces to restore their shape and finish.

> I recommend them, just be careful... they put 400V on your coil B+  :-0

Yes, I didn't mention that, but you have to be careful not to touch those
terminals, AND you have to remember not to connect your timing light or
dwell meter to the actual + or - coil terminals. The "outboard" CDI terminals
are now the ones to use for 12 V and points dwell.

It's easy, once you realize what's going on.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org