[T3] Fuel Pump Relay - 69 Fastback

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 13:48:39 PDT 2021

I wasn't much help at all.

 Now on my 73 with the auto trans last week the so called neural safety
switch the car would not crank in park but did in neutral . Today neither
would work so I just kept moving the lever then both worked. I can live
without the starter part and just run a jumper wire , I'm not stupid enough
to start it in drive or reverse. It also works the backup lamps.

 The hard part is dealing with the 2 bulb sockets because the wires are too
short. I have another used switch not sure if the one in it was the 73 or
72 . I know the contacts on the shifter can also be the issue. I need to
take a look, maybe it's a simple fix and if not the jumper. It's always
worked all these years. I just don't want to get stranded somewhere. I
still remember exactly  what it looks like and if it's done then I can add
a small toggle switch for the backup lamps. Sometimes a good cleaning and
lube will do the trick , if the shifter contact is shot then I don't recall
a way to repair that other than soldering some brass over the worn area.

 If this were not my only mode of transport I'd have time to deal with the
leaky rear main seal , at the same time it takes a lot of time to remove
the engine and hope the FI wires don't fall apart . I had that apart 2
years ago to replace the runner boots and they were fine. I just check the
oil and add. It does leak while running, only drips when shut down for a
bit. That seal I put in in 1997 when I rebuilt the engine. Being 73 year
old does not help either.