[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 140, Issue 1

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 3 06:50:56 PDT 2022

On 2 May 2022 at 20:45, Phil Hof wrote:

> Most of these have been eliminated... new electronic regulator a couple of
> years ago, voltmeter on the dash verifying output, starter/solenoid
> connections correct (since the wire had become loose and pulled off, I
> checked it when putting the engine back in).

Okay, sounds good.

> Thanks for the CSV info.  Tram made me feel dumb because he pointed out I
> don´t need a new connection or to figure out the jet needs... all I have to do
> is temporarily jump the temp sensor (used to be therm-time switch) to ground
> ,and it will operate the jet, at least while cranking.  <Phil dope slaps his
> forehead here>

Time for me to feel dumb, too. Tram's suggestion was a good one.

> Next Sunday I´ll get the rest ready and venture in the local neighborhood
> (so I´m not far for home when it quits) and check woeful and spark.  Fingers
> crossed!

If your immediate goal is to be able to just diagnose this, I may have a better
suggestion. I have a "tool" which I made that connects to one of the SP wires
and flashes each time that SP fires. It comes with a long wire, so you can
watch it while you drive, from the driver's seat. It will tell you instantly
whether you still have spark. I'll gladly loan it for a very small fee, plus a
rather large deposit, just to make sure I get it back.

If you have a squareback, you can run the wire inside and watch it any time,
but if this is a fasty, you'll need to install the sensor now and run the wire
when you're, as you said, "on the side of the road."

> I also replaced the 123 distributor with the stock unit, just to be able to
> static time it easier, and because the 123 unit refused to be gripped by my
> clamp, and could move off the correct setting easily.  I´ll figure out why
> once this main problem is resolved.  New SP leads, too... the old ones are
> maybe 8-10 years old, and the connectors could be failing (though unlikely
> to have all fail at once!).

Kind of dissapointing that they couldn't machine the 123 distributor to the
right diameter.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org