[T3] Dist trigger points?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 13 06:38:00 PDT 2022

On 12 Sep 2022 at 17:01, William Jahn wrote:

> I'm just trying to rebuild the 73 AG I got which is for a standard trans.
> What I am not certain of is if the two mechanical springs need to be
> replaced because of age. Plus the two fiber washers the weights sit on.
> The AH was in real great shape when I rebuilt it and I used the old fiber
> washers for the weights . Yet I read both should be replaced.

You should stick with an AT distributor for your AT car. I can trade you in the
course of a rebuild if that helps.

I replace the fiber washers if the OE ones have broken, otherwise just use
the originals. Keep the OE springs, or you have to redo the advance curve,
which requires a distributor machine. I put a bit of grease on the springs to
prevent rust, which could cause small changes in the spring constant.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org