[T3] Type 3's at Cincinnati VW show, Sept. 25?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 29 07:22:08 PDT 2022

Melissa and I made it home late Tuesday afternoon. We spent a day in
Richmond, IN, where I grew up, visiting some friends that we don't often get
to see. My parents have passed on, so our reasons for visiting have
declined.

Our orange FI/AT '71 Square ran almost perfectly for the whole trip. There
were maybe 4 times when the engine did a "long miss" which seemed like a
complete 4 cylinders worth, so I'm guessing that a bit of dirt got in the FI
trigger points. One of those times we were near idle, and the engine came to
a complete stop, which was disconcerting, but it started right back up. I'll pull
the distributor later today and give it a complete workover, to make sure
there's not something lurking there.

The worst thing that happened was when I locked my keys in the car. But I
have a habit of leaving the windows cracked open, so, one bent coathanger
later, the door was back open. Now I realize that I've lost the habit of pulling
my key because the electronic key to our modern Golf never leaves my
pocket. For the rest of our trip, our stopping routine became for me to pull
the key and announce, "I have the key!" Next time, I'll make sure Melissa
gets a second key to hide in her purse.

The Cincy show was quite nice. When we drove in, the folks driecting
parking were so impressed, they parked us up front, so everyone could see
what a Type 3 looked like. We were the only Type 3s, except for 2 rather
ratty and slammed Squares that arrived late and parked way back. It was
mostly VWs, but there were some very nice old Porsches, too. I didn't pay
any attention to the Audis, except there was a 1950 Auto Union on a trailer
that was for sale. Dave & Gail Pallo's '72 Square (Elwood) and John & Jill's
'67 Type 34 (Karmann) both won awards.

One interesting tidbit: While they were giving out the many awards, one of
the club workers came over to me to thank us for bringing all our Type 3s.
When I expressed surprise that no Type 4s had shown up, he developed a
rather blank look on his face. Finally he asked, "What's a Type 4?" I
explained as best I could with no example to point to, but then it came out
that he was the owner of the very nice red 2.0 914/4 at the show. I pointed
out that his VIN started with a 4, and that his 914 was to Type 4s as a Type
34 is to Type 3s: a rather special example. I don't think he was particularly
pleased to learn this, but I hope he'll do a bit of research and figure out what
a Type 4 is

Next time we do something like this, we need to bring a Type 4 along.

Of course, the best part of this trip was getting together with John & Jill,
Dave & Gail, Marion & Peg, and Keith again. We immediately fit together
again, like fingers in a glove. Our COVID, long dry spell, was finally broken.
Thanks to each of you for making this such an enjoyable trip.

This trip took us 1006 miles and consumed 43.12 gallons of 87 octane gas,
for an average of 23.3 mi/gal. That was a bit lower than I expected, but we
had a lot of wind for most of the trip, plus this is an AT car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org