[T3] 73 auto trans type 3 ARR ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 8 20:23:22 PDT 2023

On 7 Jun 2023 at 14:20, William Jahn wrote:

> I need to check if the hoses are the same size as the electric
> one.

I checked, and the ports are the same diameter on the mech/MT and elec/AT
AARs, but the inlet orientations are different.

> Before I dive in I first need to check if the electric one is in fact not
> closing. I did check it running 12 volts to it and it did close .

The way to check them is to close off the AAR inlet port with the engine
running. If the idle speed drops, it's open, if it doesn't drop, it's closed. You
will feel suction either way, so ignore that.

>  I did this a month ago . If it is closing then I need to find out why the
> idle stays at 1500 RPM and never seems to drop.

I agree. if it closes, the idle speed should be lower, unless it's been set
improperly.

The idle speed must be set with the AAR closed. If the engine is warm but
the AAR is not closing, you can fake it by shutting off the AAR inlet with your
thumb while you set the idle speed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org