[T3] Front Fenders

bobsnotch at aol.com bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 07:22:38 PDT 2023

Gary, the big problem is the "unseen" rust. By that I mean the "mud guard"portion that hides behind the outer portion of the fender itself. That piece
stiffens and provides a bolt on surface and creates a double layer at the top
and bottom of the fender, and is part of what usually causes what becomes
visible (rusts from behind). My son is currently working on doing the same
repairs on his 65 Roadster (the Pile of Bleached bones as Keith named it)
when he has time to work on it. It's not really a difficult repair, but does require
removing the fender to get at the inside support piece to fix it correctly. That
piece gets spot welded to the rear edge of the fender. There's some good pics
of this repair in some of the better build threads on the Samba. Note: this isn't
limited to just the 69 and earlier cars, but to ALL type 3s.
I hope this helps.Bob 65 Notch S with sunroof