[T3] Sophy Update

john carartbyjohn.com john at carartbyjohn.com
Mon May 15 19:36:50 PDT 2023

Hard to believe that I brought her home 22 years ago this month!

Some of her history can be found here:
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/Type3Website/66Squareback.html

I wanted to start this thread because I recently had her original carbs professionally rebuilt by Tim at VolkzBitz.com.  He did a great job.  Micro-mediablasting the carb bodies, replating all of the linkage bits, installing thread-in barbed fuel inlets, rebushing all of the shafts, complete rebuild kit, the works...

This is what I sent Tim…

https://www.carartbyjohn.com/SophyUpdates/SophyCarbsOld.jpg

This is what I got back about 6 weeks later…

https://www.carartbyjohn.com/SophyUpdates/SophyCarbsNew.jpg

I got them installed last weekend.  Dial-in was really easy with all of the slop gone.  Sophy is running better than ever and ready for the next 150k miles.

https://www.carartbyjohn.com/SophyUpdates/SophyFrontView.jpg
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/SophyUpdates/SophyRearView.jpg

I even restored her year of manufacture license plate as a treat…

https://www.carartbyjohn.com/SophyUpdates/SophyPlate.jpg

Took her out for a Sunday cruise for ice cream.  Felt great to be back driving her after the long winter.  I think she is ready for the drive out to the All Air-Cooled Gathering in mid-June.