[T3] Northern Midwest Invasion Caravan

Wisconsin Spryers wispryers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 19:58:15 PDT 2024

Mary and I are very much looking forward to our first Type 3 Invasion! And
I think Jim's idea of meeting up with Melissa and him at that rest stop
outside Milton, WI, like we did on our trip to Kalamazoo, MI, last year is
a good one. That trip was our first long-range adventure in our '71
Squareback and except for a blown fuse on the way home (loose fuse box
shorted something, since fixed) we haven't had any issues. We did find out
that about 500 miles is our max per day. We did 494 on the way home from
Kalamazoo.

As this is our 1st "big" caravan I do have some "newbie" questions. For
example, as we pick up folks along the way, do we all tend to stay in the
same hotels on the nightly stops on the way to and from Ticonderoga? I'm
assuming so. I mentioned to Mary about Jim's remembrances of sleeping 5-6
in a single motel room on one the early Invasion trips. Hopefully, this
won't be the case on this trip ;-).  We just had our 45th wedding
anniversary and I would like to make it to 46.

How are the caravan routes and meet-ups organized? I did see a spot on the
2024 Type-3 Invasion web site about "Caravan Routes". Just based on my
simplistic view, solely based on my max-miles-per-day, from the Madison, WI
area I was looking at me taking 3 days to get there (2 nights): 1 night
staying just east of Cleveland, OH; 2nd night staying just outside of
Buffalo, NY; and Ticonderoga the next day (arriving on 6/20).

In anticipation of possibly getting some rain on this trip, I decided my
winter project was to finally replace all the 53 year-old ,rock-hard, and
ineffective window gaskets, along with the ripped and worn headliner. There
was a small rust ding right at the lower right corner of the front
windshield window gasket. Once I got the old gasket and window out, it
turned out to be a big rust hole the size of my thumb nail and the small
section of the metal lip that holds the front window gasket in place, just
above the right defrost vent, almost flaked away in my hand. So, I ended up
fabricating a section to replace the rusted out area (I'm a much better
grinder than MIG welder). Turned out better than I expected, as did the
headliner. Should now be ready for any rain we might get on the Ticonderoga
trip.

We've booked our room at The Stone House Motel & Motor Lodge (checking in
on 6/20 and checking out on 6/24). I've been taking the Squareback out on
longer and longer trips and have been counting down the days till we leave.

Regards,

-- Richard Spryer