[T3] 2024 Invasion Trip Report

John Jaranson john at carartbyjohn.com
Fri Jun 28 18:19:27 PDT 2024

The 2024 Type 3 Invasion is in the books.

Twenty-three (23) Type 3s invaded Ticonderoga, NY last week.  We had all 4 body styles represented.  We had 45 Invaders attend the Saturday night dinner.  We raised $1087 for Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Capital District through the silent auction and the T-Shirt and sticker sales.

Invasion award winners were:

Favorite Early –65 Notch - Lyndon Thenhaus
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2079.jpeg

Favorite Late –71 Fastback – Marion & Peg McDonald
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2086.jpeg

Youngest –73 Fastback – Anthony (NJ).  Sorry I didn’t catch your last name Anthony.
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2077.jpeg

Oldest – 65 Squareback (The Crate) – Sean Bartnik
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2069.jpeg

Lightest – 72 Squareback “Elwood” – Gail & Dave Pallo
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2067.jpeg

Darkest – 69 Panel Squareback – Henry Verrydt & Gail Lawrence
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2078.jpeg

Long Distance – 70 Squareback – Aiden Eckert (Liam and Chester – co-pilots).  Drove the Type 3 all the way from Midland, MI, right around 800 miles one-way.
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2082.jpeg

Artist’s Choice – 66 Squareback – Lucas Sheehan
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2066.jpeg

Host Choice - 65 Squareback (The Crate) – Sean Bartnik
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2069.jpeg

Invader’s Choice - 65 Squareback (The Crate) – Sean Bartnik
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%2069.jpeg

Hard Luck – Richard & Mary Spryer (Toyota Tundra tow vehicle).  They cooked the brakes coming into Ticonderoga and had to drive over to Vermont to the nearest Toyota dealer to get it repaired for the drive home.  Fortunately there no issues with any of the Type 3s that made the trip to the Invasion this year.
https://www.carartbyjohn.com/2024Invasion/2024InvasionWebPhotos/2024Invasion%20-%20169.jpeg

Host Award – Keith Park

Russ Wolfe Memorial – Greg Merritt.  Even though Greg was not in attendance at this year’s Invasion, he is a worthy recipient of the Russ Wolfe Memorial Award which we give out to someone that has made a significant contribution to the Type 3 Community.  Greg started the vwtype3.org listserve way back before the first Invasion in 2002.  It provided a place for the Type 3 owners and enthusiasts to share information, ask questions, and be part of a community of like-minded folks.  It was in this email community that the idea for the Type 3 Invasion was born.  We wouldn’t be just wrapping up our 11th Invasion in 22 years without Greg’s efforts to bring us all together in the early days of the internet.

Will be posting more about our drive out and back and Invasion experience in a separate post.

john