[T3] Oil change

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon May 6 17:56:38 PDT 2024

I use Joe Gibbs, its even a synthetic!  In my engine with an oil filter and
the Dino version in any engine without an oil filter.
Yea, 2004 was the year they pushed the ZDDP levels below what the flat
tappets needed, I remember Berg having all kinds of problems even before
that,
So did Raby as that was just after I bought the kit for the 2056 from him
and 2 buddies ate cam's that winter on their older winter rats.  It wore the
cam on the Squareback, although it wasn't the final factor in the engines
last days Ill bet it was missing a bit of lift.

Keith

Subject: Re: [T3] Oil change

Regarding oil changes:

Clearly there are many ways to skin that cat, but there are two important
things to keep in mind.

The first is about the lack of ZDDP in modern engine oils. While I was
skeptical about this at first, I'm now convinced that the problem is REAL.
If you care about your engine, you need to either use a special oil or add
an additive.

The second is that you need to be careful about torquing the nuts.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org