[T3] Oil change

jadney at vwtype3.org jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 6 21:37:40 PDT 2024

On 6 May 2024 at 13:09, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> The first is about the lack of ZDDP in modern engine oils. While I was
> skeptical about this at first, I'm now convinced that the problem is REAL

> *What changed your mind?*.

Just a preponderance of what I hear from the VW community, as well as from the larger
automotive crowd. Also, the machinist at my favority FLAPS confirms it.

> The second is that you need to be careful about torquing the nuts.

> *It's a "feel thing".  Some people have it; some don't.*

True, so don't give your assistant a long handled wrench to tighten those nuts.

> *Jim ... Why do you reuse the old gaskets rather than new, if they're not
> damaged?*

Why not? If the old one is perfectly good, it doesn't need to become part of our waste stream.
As one of my friends once put it, "I hate waste," and it's wasteful to replace something that's
still good. I reuse old parts whenever possible, as long as I'm certain that they will continue to
serve their function well.

And keep in mind that newer is almost never as good as the original.

One more oil change thing: After many years of use, the 6 holes around the edge of the filter
screen will be peened inwards, making the holes slightly smaller. This makes the screen
difficult to remove. I use a tapered hand reamer to make those holes slightly larger. It's not
something that needs to be redone often, but it makes for a big improvement in getting the
screen out.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org