[T3] Oil change

bobsnotch at aol.com bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue May 7 10:52:23 PDT 2024

 Gary, the removal of ZDDP in modern oils came from the EPA finding that it clogged cat converters. Of course the EPA didn't know it would cause cams to go flat in older engines (it's a real problem for cam companies still today, and why so many have gone to roller cams in the hot rod industry). I use GM's EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) in my own engine to get the ZDDP level up. In talking with the parts guy at the dealer they don't sell it much any more as most modern engines aren't flat tappet cam engines. It's also a little more expensive than Lucas, but then I only use a half a bottle at a time.I hope this helps, and gives you an idea of the problem.Bob 65 Notch S w/sunroof

    On Tuesday, May 7, 2024 at 12:38:17 AM EDT, jadney at vwtype3.org <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

 On 6 May 2024 at 13:09, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> The first is about the lack of ZDDP in modern engine oils. While I was
> skeptical about this at first, I'm now convinced that the problem is REAL

> *What changed your mind?*.

Just a preponderance of what I hear from the VW community, as well as from the larger
automotive crowd. Also, the machinist at my favority FLAPS confirms it.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org