[T3] Oil change

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue May 7 11:46:03 PDT 2024

All good and valuable points, Jim.

1.)  The most expensive oil is still much less expensive than rebuilding an
engine.

2.)  My "assistant" is a long-time,  mechanically knowledgeable "wrench".
But I will insist on him using the proper, short-handled, metric socket or
box-end wrench.  No need to use gorilla force on the 6 nuts.

3.)  Reusing the old gasket.  "Why not", indeed.
The older I get the more environmentally conscious I become.  😀

4.)  Filter screen holes.  I've had to "round out" those 6 holes on the
aluminum a time or two in the past.

VW possibly could have used a more suitable alloy material, couldn't they?
Ah ... but material cost would have added to the cost of buying the car at
retail.

In my previous life, the people who were responsible for procuring small
items, were always negotiating to save a 10th of a penny.  When you're
buying tens-of- thousands of an item, every penny saved, counts.

I think we've hammered this subject enough ... again.