[T3] rear axle nut

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 10 15:11:11 PDT 2011

On 10 Aug 2011 at 13:36, crash 69 wrote:

> My torque wrench only goes to 150 ft lbs.  I know the book says 217 ft lbs
> (I think), but I've been told by VW people around here that tighter is
> better, a little loose is asking for trouble.

I would never trust an impact wrench to give a particular torque.

My breaker bar is 18" long. When I weighed 150 lbs that gave me 225
ft-lbs if I stood on the end. I weigh more now, so I don't stand all
the way out on the end.

VW gave that torque for a reason. Stick to it. The "If some is good,
more is better" philosophy will just lead you into trouble. Be glad
you haven't stripped the threads on your swing axle. Back off and
shoot for the right torque.

Note that there are 2 crossed holes in the axle, so you torque to
217, then advance to the next hole, whichever clears first. That will
be a max of 30 deg more. This may put you right back to where you are
now, but better to do it right than be really really sorry later.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org