[T3] Speedometer Report

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 25 21:32:44 PDT 2011

Follow-up on the '71 speedometer I got at a VW swap & show.

Recap - '71 with trip-odometer and a loose needle. It was unknown whether the tip-odo worked or not.

During the re-assembly I used the housing from my '67 due to the difference of spring lengths.

While assembling the needle to the shaft I had some challenges.

If I pushed the needle onto the shaft too lightly it slipped and if I put it on hard, the backside of the counterweight rubbed against the silver beauty cover that hides the attachment screws.

I installed it a few times thought I got it. I installed the speedo tonight and went for a test run and it still rubs and doesn't provide an accurate or consistent speed indication.

The good news is that the trip odo does work!

Jeff '67 Sqbk
The regular instrument cluster I got at the meet works great!