[T3] "Pulling" a T3 engine

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jun 1 18:19:45 PDT 2011

In a message dated 6/1/2011 5:26:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bfye at canyonville.net writes:

When I  was young, I used brute force.  Now that I'm wiser and more bald,  I
use floor jack or a cheap motorcycle jack if the engine doesn't have a  deep
sump.  I can't remember the last time I had a second set of hands  involved
with pulling.

I must be getting lazier in my old age (just turned 50), as I use a cart
for the engine (I built it back in the mid to late 90's for supporting and
moving an engine around the shop), and it clears my floor jack. I only jack
the  car up now, just to get the engine in or out. Otherwise the car stays on
the  ground. If I'm putting the engine in, I'll raise the car up high
enough to clear  the engine, then roll the engine under the car, and release the
jack,  then move the jack under the cart and raise the engine up and into
place.  The reverse happens when I'm removing the engine. I haven't had a
helper  for engine removal/installation in years (almost 20 now), so I'm used to
working  by myself, unless I'm helping someone else.

What a lot of us are missing here is that Bill has a 62, which is swing
axle, and doesn't need the trans supported (it stays bolted into the car). IRS
 cars require a second jack or some blocking to help support it when
installing/removing the engine. Bill, follow the rough instructions I posted a
couple of days ago, and you should be fine. Do you have the Blue Bentley? I'm
 only asking, as you could turn to it IF you get stuck on something. I'll
say  this though, it'll be easier than your friends water cooled car. ;^)

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)