[T3] Fuel

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:04:43 PDT 2011

Got the oil pressure gauge installed; running 20 to 60 p.s.i. at idle (8-950 ish).  With that done, went for a drive.  Real slug from a standstill or going up hill.  At one point I had to make a U turn from a stop and up the hill.  Clattered, shook a bit, and died.  Restarted fine, and a bit of hairy finessing got out of the way (two lanes of 30 M.P.H. traffic over an incline, oops).  Valves adjusted about 25 miles ago, along with ignition.  Everything seems to check out, except fuel.

The gasoline in the Squareback was year or more old 89 octane.  Now up to 7.95 compression, so thinking the lower grade crappy fuel had something to do with it.  When I put in about seven gallons of fresh in, ran a lot better, but still not quite right.

Adney, can you send me the T.V.S. adjustment paper?

What should my next action be?

Oh, and on a side note, Jack's method made the brakes rock solid, though still bears right when stopping hard and not the distance of four wheel drum though improved.  Plus, there is grinding and chunking-slipping: think it is rust coming of the rotors.  Also, I love the Koni dampers; real firm but do not break teeth but can be rough over Sandy Eggo "roads".  Right height was high enough to clear a stray volley ball: guess it was there lucky day as a normal car would have popped it. ;) l.o.l.

Thank you,
Adriel